Allow myself to introduce... myself

...

Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Art of Sharing


In a renewed frenzy of dedication to my blog, I've been busy snapping photos today that I plan to use in future posts. I haven't had this kind of proactive plan-aheadedness since the very beginning of my blog almost two years ago. So instead of randomly blathering on about nothing, I hope to (at least for a few posts anyway), have something specific to talk about. And so I offer today's post about SHARING.

Since the very first days of Hear Me Roar! (lest anyone forget, these blog musings had their start in the fact that I have a very fledgeling business that I'm supposed to be writing about), I declared selfishly that I would not be a spread-out-on-the-kitchen-table sewer as my mother was, but I would have My Very Own SPACE. It has been different things over the years - an odd corner in an awkward living room in Alaska, the dining room in a small apartment in Redmond, a full sized room in a house in Everett; a landing here, a cast off computer room there. With so many incarnations, one thing has remained constant; the space was entirely mine. I didn't share with anyone, not a single soul. I controlled every aspect of what was included in the space, right down to the actual smell (PartyLite brand Winter Solstice scented candles, bought on Ebay due to the discontinuation of the scent).

And now, I share.




In some ways I'm better at it than I thought I would be, although there are times when I feel cramped in my corner of the room, hyper aware that Scoochie most likely feels that my disorder is EVERYWHERE. It took me longer to unpack this room than it has ever taken me to claim my sewing space, and there have been some tense moments when I try to make more pouty declarations, which are met mostly with Scoochie's hysterical laughter. "I can't bear to look at this wallpaper when I'm trying to create!" I once said at my most diva best. "Are you kidding me?" asked Scott, who's excited and appreciative about sharing this space with me. In the end I realized that if he can handle the floral grandma wallpaper, I probably should too. Happily.

Sharing has turned out to be more productive than I dreamed. Because we share the space and aim to use it quite a bit, I don't feel as guilty splurging on a new tv or containers for organizing. Scoochie has a tireless work ethic that keeps him drawing into the wee hours most nights, so in order to be with him I need to be in there sewing. He doesn't talk much, but most of the time I don't either unless I'm starting to peter out. I trust his eye for detail, and can ask him questions about how something looks and trust his honest answer. He's encouraged me to make more jackets, something I was giving up because of how time consuming they are even though I love making them.




So that's where we're at. Sharing a space and trying to get the most out of it all, with our trademark kookie senses of humor still showing up every once in awhile. How do you think we're doing?

4 comments:

Hello, my name is Scott Hale. said...

Sharing is nice, I do have an exceptional work ethic, and I am pretty much awesome...no I mean it I'm really, really AWESOME...and excellent...and cool.

Cindy said...

Hmm the space is nice and company that is appropriately silent when one is recreating art for the masses... its hard to improve on that! I thought the vermin itch powder was to be displayed in the bath? It looks good and as always I look forward to seeing the real thing.

Hear Me Roar! said...

You can't wait to see my vermin itch powder? I had intended it to go in the bathroom, but realized I liked it way too much to squirrel it away in there. I've been after your little tin of powder for body crawling insects for YEARS, so I have to be able to gaze upon it lovingly while I beaver away at my sewing machine. Besides, you don't go in the art room unattended, and I need to keep my itch powder under a tight watch lest you have second thoughts about giving it away...

Cindy said...

Its nice to think you worry that I might covet my old vermin itch powder but I've smiled about it for years, its now your turn. Of coarse if I should need some vermin itch powder there is still some in the can and with an ice pick I'm sure it could be persuaded to be of some use.