Allow myself to introduce... myself

...

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Day Job

I don't think I've talked much before about my day job, and some of you may not even know that I have a day job, which might leave you thinking I'm a lazy good-for-nothing because I can't seem to get my sewing mojo back.

I like to think I'm not lazy, but Scoochie might say otherwise.

The truth of it all is that I started my blog two years ago this month (at the insistence of my great friend Tif, who I like to think of as my textile art sister-in-arms), and then a mere four months later was promoted at work. I don't build rockets or perform brain surgery, I'm the Branch Manager at a credit union. I have responsibilities, I coach, manage, and lead people, I have many keys and programs which require constant changing of passwords that I can never remember, I hold meetings in which I am completely resonsible for the agenda, I monitor the usage of paper towels, I make sure the plants aren't blocking the thermostats, and I approve time sheets, which feels like way too much power for one person to have. I love my job, but of course this is not the job I dreamed I'd have when I was a wee grade school imp. I was sure I was going to be a ballerina until I was sure I was going to be a rock star until I was sure I was going to be an English teacher. The trouble is, I never could decide on any one thing. My college transcripts (which I had to dig out this week) wander a bit. In my brief college career I wanted to focus on Psychology. No wait - make that a double major in English and Sports Medicine. No wait... how about Nursing? I've changed my mind completely! I want to be a Zoo Keeper, and I'm pursuing a Bachelor of Science!

Almost the entire time I waffled on the planning of my career trajectory, I was actually working at credit unions. It was the best job you could get on Whidbey Island at 18 with only some college, and here I still am some 16 years later. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and this is a good job for always wanting to be the best; but it's also a career that pays quite a bit of attention to how we treat our people, which appeals to that psychologist in me.

Which is why I was so completely devastated this week when I found out I'd failed my last audit.

Me?!

So last night when I was laying in bed tossing and turning, I decided to come clean about my day job in the hopes that admitting how upset I was at failing my audit might give me a tad bit of closure.

At the very least I'd like to be able to sleep again.

Not that tossing and turning is completely unproductive. I made some decisions about some shelved sewing projects that have been awaiting new inspiration, I thought of four topics for future blog posts, I watched the dog breathe for about three minutes, I thought about the injustice of food calorie counts and the mess the Bush administration left behind, I thought about wanting to buy a house, wanting to finish my degree, and wanting the best life possible. In the end I recognized that life is about a series of steps forward and hiccups back, and as long as you make sure to keep your feet moving, you'll find yourself somewhere new in the end. Failing the audit is a hiccup, and I've had many hiccups in my life. But at the end of it all I want to be defined by how far I've come, not by how many missteps I've taken.

Let the sewing begin again!

3 comments:

Hello, my name is Scott Hale. said...

You have a day job? That's amazing, now I really am sorry for thinking you were lazy. I wanted to be a lot of things to. First I wanted to be a superhero, then I wanted to be an artist, then I wanted to be an artist that made a living being an artist, then I wanted to be a tyrannical, all powerful dictator, then I wanted to be a self-sufficient artist, and finally I wanted to be a self-sufficient artist. I'm not any of these. F.Y.I., for no reason and completely random "all tyrany needs to gain a foothold is for men of good conscience to remain silent." I thnk Thomas Jefferson said that. I might go and wash the cars now.

Cindy said...

Since you inspired me to remember what i wanted to be when I was little you now have to listen. I wanted to be Doris Day, then someone who's best friend was famous but I always knew what I would never be cause the very thought of it made me puke and that was a nurse SO I think you are right on target for your career.

Lorene said...

Thank you. This post made me feel better. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one tossing and turning and pondering life. (I found your blog via a link in Tif's post yesterday.) (And I'm only leaving a comment because I read your request further down to please leave a comment because as bloggers, that's all you and your husband ask for. :-)